Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Hokey Pokey.

“You put your left foot in. You put your left foot out. You put your left foot in…and you shake it all about.”

This childhood favorite pretty much sums up my entrepreneur life these days at HireMeAspen. Make a decision. Change that decision. Remake that decision. And then shake it all about. Do the hokey pokey while I turn myself around...

And I’m not indecisive.

It sure does seem like I’m shaking it all about these days though. But then again, these are crazy times.

There really are too many options to decide, too many to-dos to complete, and too many directions to head. Should I get an intern? Should I seek a VC? Should I launch another town or master the one I’m in now? Should I test a freemium model or stay firm? Should I change my registration form? Should I add video?

And that just leads to more woulda, shoulda, couldas.

It’s great being a sole-proprietor because you get to make all the decisions. It’s also not great being a sole-proprietor because you get to make all the decisions.

What’s even more bizarre is that I fantasize sometimes about having a mediocre job, making a mediocre salary, so I can have my mediocre weekends back. It’s just a fantasy, though, because I know if I really did that, I’d grow crazy with boredom.

The past seven years have been ones of such incredible growth, but I’ve been on a work treadmill, living in two places constantly with Minneapolis being my base. Back and forth to NYC. Back and forth to San Francisco. Back and forth to Aspen. (I know, I know…tough life, huh?). These past seven years have been anything but boring, and I wouldn’t change a thing. I just long for more weekends away from the computer and work, and more weekends spent doing mindless tasks.

For example, I can’t remember the last time I got fired up about a sports team winning the World Series, playoffs or Super Bowl because I don’t remember the last time I had 3-4 hours to actually sit down and watch a game. Or, I can’t recall the last time I took a painting class, a cooking class, or any class for that matter. I’m not really craving doing those things again right now.  I’m just craving having the option.

I guess as individuals, we always have options to create whatever life we want.

My choice right now is to keep moving forward as an entrepreneur, working hard to achieve the ultimate life of freedom I desire.

I'm also choosing the option of humming childhood songs during coffee breaks because “that’s what I'm all about!”